- Made peach and bourbon jam. (4 cups peaches, 2 cups sugar, 6 tbsp honey bourbon, 1 tsp citric acid. Chop peaches, mix ingredients together, boil for about 2 hours, or until a teaspoon of the stuff doesn't move when you put it on a cool plate and swipe your finger through. Jar in sterile jars. Eat at leisure.)
- Struck apple, bay, and curry twigs.
- Planted out parsley and thyme.
Thinking about the garden this morning:
- - chooks off the current bed in a week (need mulches to throw them, move them off, leave the bed for a couple of weeks, then...? Parsnips? Broadbeans? Onions? Carrots? Jerusalem Artichokes? Kohlrabi?)
- - garlic & leek in among the two brassica beds, winding their way between the various plantings.
- - nasturtiums under the apple tree, maybe also the alyssum?
- - I keep trying brussel sprouts. They never head, but I really really want to grow my own brussels sprouts...
- - still need a source of straw to throw in the chook pen, my last supplier has gone silent. Maybe I should offer her eggs in exchange?
- - need to get the chickens to scratch through the compost heap and eat up the curl grubs. Need to work out logistically HOW to do this.
The persimmon has fruited, quite expansively, and although there are some fruit flies, they're not doing very well. The fact that it fruits now rather than in early spring probably helps.
Winter is coming.