04 July, 2017

new fence, preserves, winter garden

I had to pull up some sweet potato plants for when we did the back fence.

Garden May 2017

Tricky part: persuading the neighbour not to paint or treat the fence with anything that might turn out to be toxic for my plants.

Wombok (I think)

Garden May 2017

Old Fence.

Garden May 2017

More old fence:

Garden May 2017

Still more old fence:

Garden May 2017

The root vegie garden - rocket and carrots and parsnips and leeks and a bunch of other things, most of which aren't growing at all.

Garden May 2017

New fence being put up (early morning light makes it tricky):

House and garden: new fence

New fence:

House and garden: new fence

More new fence (from same POV as the old fence photo above)

House and garden: new fence

And the long view of the new fence:

House and garden: new fence

I chopped down all the basil and made pesto:

There's gonna be pesto... #basil #gardenofsel #harvest

That was a weekend of preserving, actually. Last of harvest: red tomato chutney, green tomato chutney, preserved lemons, and pesto. Everything but the lemons came from the garden, and I swapped the lemons for lemongrass I did grow in my garden! #gardenofsel #relish #preserves #homecooked #homemade

Last of harvest: red tomato chutney, green tomato chutney, preserved lemons, and pesto. Everything but the lemons came from the garden, and I swapped the lemons for lemongrass I did grow in my garden!  #gardenofsel #relish #preserves #homecooked #homemade

I pulled up the only parsnip that I'd managed to grow:

First ever parsnip! #gardenofsel

I've planted more parsnips, but they're not actually growing. They're difficult to grow apparently - need good sandy soil and the opportunity to grow straight down...

I'm thinking of pulling up the carrot seedlings and planting them out in boxes of sandy compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment